Cable Advisory Committee Charge
The Cable Advisory Committee (CAC), a permanent committee created by the Select Board, consists of 5 members appointed to staggered 3-year terms, beginning with the 2021 appointments.
The CAC is given the following charge:
1. Assist the Town Administrator negotiate and enforce licenses and contracts with Cable Television providers on behalf of the Select Board.
2. Act as liaison between residents and Cable Television providers to help resolve issues and complaints.
3. Assist the Town Administrator hire television station leadership and other staff for Rutland Community Television. Directly supervise leadership and staff to enable:
• Recording and broadcasting local government meetings,
• Fostering the production of local events, and,
• Making production technology and training available to the public.
4. Manage the Public, Educational, and Governmental (PEG) Access fund.
a. The Committee and Rutland Community Television may expend funds from an account allocated at Town Meeting. The source of funds for this account shall be the PEG Access Fund which is currently funded by cable television franchise fees.
5. Investigate and manage implementation of quality telecommunication services and infrastructure.
6. Assist the Select Board and other Town committees in adopting and adapting to new technologies as society moves from the traditional local cable television to other telecommunication services.
7. Investigate alternative methods of funding the Committee and Rutland Community Television, including the possible formation of a non-profit organization, to manage a possible situation when cable franchise fees will not be sufficient to ensure continued operations.