What is PCE?

Tetrachloroethylene (“PCE”) is a manufactured chemical used for dry cleaning and metal degreasing and in the aerospace industry. The chemical is also found in older water mains, which the Town in their capital improvement plans are identifying plans for replacement. Is our drinking water unsafe? Per consultation with the Water Department and Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection, the water is safe for use.

Show All Answers

1. What should I do if I have brown water?
2. Who monitors the Email Water Department? Is there any follow-up via email?
3. Why do we still have brown water?
4. What are the short- and long-term plans to address these issues?
5. If the Town cannot identify the source of my brown water what else can I do?
6. What should I do if my house water filter is constantly breaking because of the amount of filtering required?
7. Where should I send water to be tested?
8. What should I do once I receive the test results?
9. What is manganese and is it dangerous?
10. Is it an option for our town to drill wells in order to eliminate manganese from the minerals in our water?
11. Why did I receive a letter with respect to PCE?
12. What is PCE?
13. What is the Town doing to mitigate this issue?
14. Has the Town conducted subsequent testing of the impacted areas?