Frequently Asked Questions
The Council on Aging has created this quick reference to answer FAQs. Please call us at (508) 886-7549 if you need further information.
- What are your hours? Monday through Thursday, 9:00AM–3:00PM and Friday 9:00AM–1:00PM
- Do you need to be an Rutland resident to join? All Rutland residents 60 years and older are invited to come to the Senior Center. There is no charge for any of our classes or programs, except for some exercise classes which as a result of grant funding request a suggested donation of usually $1 per class, and lunches also have a cost. Exercise classes are limited to Rutland seniors. Out-of-Town residents may attend many of our programs, usually for free but there may be a charge for certain programs. All details may be found in our newsletter.
- My mother (my father) is living with us for a few months, may s/he attend? In these circumstances we do allow the Senior to attend as an Rutland resident.
- How do I register for programs? See the newsletter or the Activity page of this website for details of individual registrations. Exercise classes are 'drop-in' but class sizes are limited. Popular classes such as Watercolor Class allocate places either via a lottery system or a specific time for registering is advertised.
- How may I get a copy of the newsletter? Rutland seniors may have a copy mailed home, you may pick up a copy in the Center and in other places in Town (i.e., Library, Post Office), the online edition is available here on the website. You may subscribe to be notified when the newsletter is posted online. (Log in with your email and scroll down to 'news flash'. You may also opt to have the newsletter sent through your cell number.)
- May I get lunch? We serve meals Monday–Friday at 11:30AM. Call Jayne Day, Dining Site Manager at (508) 886-4119 at least 24 hours ahead of time. The Council on Aging also serves 'special meals' on occasion—all details are in the newsletter.
- Do you participate in the Meals on Wheels program? YES! Please visit the Meals on Wheels page of this website for details.
- Is there transportation to the center? Yes. Please visit the Transportation for Rutland Seniors page of this website for details.
- Do you need volunteers? For volunteer opportunities call the COA at (508) 886-7459. We have volunteers carry out a variety of tasks in the building.
- Where is the Rutland Senior Center? We are located at 53 Glenwood Road, Rutland.
- Do you offer Social Services? We may offer assistance in many ways. For more details see our newsletter, browse this website, or you may call us at (508) 886-7549.
- May I borrow medical equipment from you? The Rutland Council on Aging, located at 53 Glenwood Road, Rutland, has a variety of items to loan - call the office at (508) 886-7549. Also call if you have equipment you would like to donate.
- What is your Winter Weather policy? If the schools are closed due to the weather we WILL NOT be offering any programs that day. If the school is operating a delay, our programs will commence at 10:00AM. Information on school closings may be found on local TV & radio and the Wachusett Regional School District website. If in doubt you may call the center on (508) 886-7549. During school vacations you may check our "news" on the homepage. Always have safety in mind—if in any doubt don't drive!