Motor Vehicle Excise Tax

Looking for a Motor Vehicle Abatement?

In order to file an abatement, you must fill out a Motor Vehicle Abatement Application (PDF) and submit it with the following supporting documents:

  • Proof of What Happened to the Car
  • Proof of What Happened to the Registration

If you are unsure of what documents you may need, please click on the checklist at the top of this page.


Motor Vehicle Excise is a state tax with state regulations for abatements.


Filing a motor vehicle abatement does not stay the collection of taxes. To avoid interest, charges, and collection action, including non-renewal of your registration, you must pay the bill in full within 30 days of its issue date.

You are not entitled to an abatement if you (1) cancel your registration and retain ownership of the vehicle, or (2) move to another Massachusetts city or town, during the same calendar year. By law, you must notify the MA Registry of Motor Vehicles within 30 days of any change of residence, mailing, or garaging address. Applications for abatements must be received by the Rutland Board of Assessors within three years after the excise was due, or one year after the excise was paid, whichever is later. No excise may be reduced to less than $5. No abatement or refund of less than $5 can be issued.